Sunday, April 14, 2013

Immeasurably More


For this reason I kneel before the Father, from whom every family in heaven and on earth derives its name. I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your heartsthrough faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the Lord’s holy people,to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen. Ephesians 3:14-21

I am leaving the country in a little over 72 hours. Yay! Ugh.....

I really can't explain all of the emotions. On one hand, I am so, so excited. I love missions and I love Mozambique. I am excited about the new team I will be joining in Lichinga.

However, I would be lying if I didn't say I was apprehensive, too. I am sad for all the things that I will miss. I know that I will miss weddings, birthdays, holidays, births, and deaths. This time, I know what it's like to miss those things. It makes me sad. But, it also makes me happy that I have two worlds that I love that I wouldn't want to live without. There aren't many people who can say that. I am blessed beyond measure.

I am also blessed in real tangible ways that I can see and touch. Just last week I was offered a house to rent. The house has running hot water (what?) and electricity. The rent also includes a day time and night time guard. Now, before you get too worried, I believe every missionary I know has a guard. It's someone to watch your house when you're away and someone to watch out for you at night. I realize that may sound a little scary, but honestly to me it sounds wonderful. One of the things I really struggled with last year was living at the base. I had no where to "get away." I only had a bedroom. The living area and kitchen was shared by the entire base. So, even on weekends when I wasn't "on duty," I lived where I worked, and I just didn't have a place to have some privacy, to spend time alone with the Lord, a place to call my own. It was just hard.

So, the idea that I will have a place that will make my work and ministry separate sound like.....sanity :0) And, today, as if that wasn't gift enough from Jesus, First Baptist Church of Eden gave me almost $9,000.00 towards the purchase of a car. WOW, WOW, WOW!!!!! 

They took on a project called "Jenni's Wheels" and in two months they raised almost $9,000. 
I am totally speechless. I never imagined that. Not ever. And that is why I added those verses to the top of this blog. This Christ whose love is long, and deep, and wide - this Christ does immeasurably more than I can ask or imagine - and he has. I am so grateful to my Savior and to the people of FBC whose hearts and pockets were opened to His work in the world. They gave me a HUGE key and told me to remember that God's pockets are bigger than mine. That key won't fit in my pocket, but it will fit in the pocket of the ONE writing this story, and He's a better driver anyway!

Please continue to pray with me about the car. Once I get to Moz and get settled, I will have to do car shopping. Yikes! I have friends in Lichinga who will help me. Thank goodness. Car shopping is stressful. Car shopping in another language, in another countr, is a daunting proposition even for this girl!

I am hoping to be able to purchase a car for around $10,000. It could be as much as $12,000. Please pray with me about the following things: 1) I will be able to find a safe, reliable car for $10,000. 2) Please pray that hearts will be moved that will help me finish raising the $1,000 to $3,000 dollars still needed. 3) Please pray for me as I get settled in the house and begin work.

Today, after FBC presented me with my key, my mom sang a song. Yes, if you are wondering, that was a real tear jerker! I couldn't look at her because I was crying and I didn't want to get her started. Anyhow, she sang a song that I sang as a child in a church play. Here are the words:

Is there anything I can do for You?
Is there anything I can do?
For all the things you've done for me
Is there anything I can do?

I'm willing to be used, dear Lord,
Whatever the price may be.
So if there's anything I can do for you,
Just make it known to me.

Is there anywhere I can go for you?
Is there anywhere I can go?
For the places you have been for me,
Is there anywhere I can go?

That second verse gets me every time. For the places you have been for me. When I think about where He has been for me, I am just humbled. This gentle, humble Jesus became a man for me. He left the glory of heaven because I needed a Savior. He took on all the constraints of humanity for me. He decided to experience illness, and loss, and rejection and became like me in every way. He knew that was the only way to reach my human heart. Jesus was beaten beyond recognition for me. He died on a cruel cross to save my soul. He became sin even though He knew no sin because I needed a way to heaven.

So....no electricity? No running water? A little malaria? Bring it. My Savior is worth SO. MUCH. MORE.





5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was so good to see you yesterday!! I am happy for what our church was able to do to help with your "wheels". Can't wait to see you in those wheels. I know it will save you time and make things so much easier. I will continue to pray for you on your journey in Africa. To God be the Glory!!!
Diane Taylor

Anonymous said...


Bless you, Jenni, for your complete surrender to the will of God. I have loved getting to "really" know you through your posts on Facebook. I will keep you in my prayers and look forward to hearing from you through your blog. I have your "souvenir" on my key chain and will pray for you each time I see it. I love you!

Agnes said...


I inadvertently signed "anonymously" when I should have signed "Agnes."
Sorry!

Rena Nunley said...

Well-said. VERY well-said! May He be your strength and joy as you embark (again!) on this adventure for HIM.
Praying for you!!

Bobbie Shough said...

It was a real blessing to us at FBC to be a part of helping you get wheels. This was our first time meeting you and we loved you immediately. Praying for you as you go back to Africa. Will be excited to keep up with you through your blog.